Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The September 2010 Daring Cooks' challenge was hosted by John of Eat4fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John's source for food preservation information was from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.


I chose to make apple butter for my preservation challenge. It came out amazing and was hard to preserve any of it because I wanted to eat it all! I had a lot of fun making it and ended up freezing about half of it. My camera started having a 'lens malfunction' about halfway through the process, so I don't have any pictures of the frozen product.

Here are the apples. To get the full fall experience, I made the husband take me to an orchard to get the apples (see previous post). Not sure why this next pic is sideways... but here they are cooking...

... and here's the almost done apple butter.
So, it turned out delicious. This was my first 'assignment' being a daring cook and had tons of fun making it. Hopefully, I'll have a working camera by next month.

No comments: